Loading palette preview

History

Presque Isle Lighthouse Mosaic
Presque Isle District Library was started as a county library in 1945. In 1994, after a successful referendum, the county library became a district library serving all of Presque Isle County and Forest and Waverly townships of Cheboygan County. The Library receives an annual tax millage collected from residents in its service area and is a governmental unit. The District Library is composed of a main branch located in Rogers City and four other branches located in Onaway, Posen, Millersburg, and Grand Lake.
 
Renovation and expansion of the Rogers City branch was celebrated by the opening and dedication ceremonies in June, 2002. Onaway branch library is located in the historic courthouse, circa 1908 where the building also serves as the location for the Onaway City Offices and the Onaway Chamber of Commerce.  A new building at Grand Lake was dedicated in 2007. With the cooperation of Case Township, a Millersburg branch was opened in 2010. The open house was attended by approximately 45 people. The first patron to check out a book was little Emma Lucio.
 
The Presque Isle District Library has over 6,000 patrons that actively use and support their library. Since 2003, the Presque Isle District Library has continued to increase in their outreach efforts and partnering with local historical and educational organizations. The attendance at programs and classes sponsored by the library has increased over 140%.